Saturday 22 August 2015

August 2015 Favourites List

I hope you are all enjoying the Summer. It has not been wall-to-wall sunshine here in the UK, but I was shocked to hear a woman in town complain “We haven’t had our Summer yet, have we?” to her friend in the street. I didn’t think we had done too badly! Perhaps it is just one of those very British reactions to the weather. We seem to store stronger memories of the rain and chilly days than the long, beautiful, balmy ones!

Results and resit season are upon everyone who is either in education or working in education. GCSE results were out this week, A level results the week before. My students have had resit assessments and exams the last couple of weeks. There is so much pressure on children and students these days, I wonder how I would cope if I had to live those days over again. I hope that either you, or those close to you have received the results hoped for, or that if you have had a resit to take,  I wish you the very best of luck.

This month's pictures are from my Summer flower pictures on Instagram. The bright and vibrant colours always cheer me up and put a smile on my face, come rain or shine.


Now here is my collection of lovely stuff I have been enjoying this month. Dig in and enjoy!

Recipes:

If you're getting a little bored with Mojitos, why not go back to an old classic, the Moscow Mule?


Tony Singh's Strawberry Sunday with "Monkey Blood" (don't worry, it's only made out of raspberries!):

Cyrus Todiwala's Parsee Kolmi Ni Bharaei, Stuffed sea bass with tomato Patia.

Love mussels, love pasta? Here's an Italian/French fusion which combines the two!


Great avocado recipes from chefs and foodies:

Quick and easy Indian: poha, "variety" rice, upma, bhurji, aloo chaat, masala French toast. https://culinaryadventuresofthespicescribe.wordpress.com/2015/08/02/quick-and-easy-indian-recipes-food-ideas-top-chefs/

Articles/Know How:

Food myths, the truth about sell by dates and how to avoid throwing precious food in the bin: http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/food-myths-costing-you-truth-6234585

Very disappointed to see leading chain restaurants take money intended for waiting staff as tips into their own pockets. Please complain if you can to stop this unnecessary practice: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/10/waiting-staff-pizza-express-tips

Sadly, the great service charge rip off continues. I like Cote Brasserie, but I don't like its policy of taking all of the service charge for itself.


So, this new chilli being stocked by Tesco is meant to be 400 times hotter than a Jalapeno. Yep, 400. My only question is why? Aren't regular chillis hot enough?

What you might have missed at Snig's Kitchen:

My brilliant friend Linda returns to Snig's Kitchen with another authentic Neapolitan recipe, so you can cook like Mamma!

My review of Amy Riolo's Mediterranean Diet Cookbook, a well thought out, thoroughly researched book with some great recipes. Read my full review! http://snigskitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/amy-riolo-ultimate-mediterranean-diet.html

Film:
Minions
Inside Out


TV:
The Returned
Singer Songwriters At The BBC 2

Music:
The Who Sell Out – The Who
Harvest – Neil Young
Five Leaves Left – Nick Drake
Alt-J – This Is All Yours

Please note: as with every monthly Favourites List, all of these items have been selected by me simply because I love them. I do not receive any money, benefits in kind or other incentive for posting these links or recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment