Wednesday 30 November 2011

Snig's Chick Pea Salad


I'm not as good at getting my five a day as I should be. I find some salads bland, and cannot abide by overboiled veg. Perhaps I am fussy, but I do worry that I am saving up problems for the future. Hence an interesting and zingy salad is always a source of excitement to me.

I recently visited my local Turkish grocers, where I found some very appetising looking shish kebabs. Perfect for a weeknight when I can't be sure when the slings and arrows of the London Transport system will finally allow me to cross my own threshold. There have been days that the 6 miles from home to work (as the crow flies) has taken an hour and a half – how depressing!

This salad is a great accompaniment to grilled meat, fish or halloumi, this salad is inspired by the food of the Eastern Meditteranean.

Serves 2-3 as a side dish with meat/fish/meat substitute

Ingredients:

½ red onion, sliced into fine slices of about 1” (2.5cm) long
2 spring onions, cut into rounds
2 tsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
4 tbsp dry couscous
3 tbsp hot water
8-10 ripe cherry tomatoes, quartered
cucumber chopped into ½ cm (or just slightly larger) cubes
400g tin chickpeas, drained then rinsed
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Method:
  1. In a small container with a lid, combine the couscous and hot water. Leave for 5 minutes, stir thoroughly and leave for another 5 minutes. Fluff up with a fork.
  2. In a bowl, combine the reconstituted couscous, onion, spring onion, tomato and cucumber. Mix up to allow flavours to infuse into the couscous. Cover and leave until you are ready to serve.


  3. Mix up your dressing by whisking together the vinegar and oil in a mug. Set aside.


  4. Now combine the other ingredients. Dress with the dressing.


  5. Season to taste and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment